The eBussed project provides technical assistance for the transition from public transport with internal combustion engines to public transport with electric buses. eBussed will focus on the exchange of experience between partner regions at different stages of e-bus development, thus helping regions struggling with this highly technical and fast developing area. As no partner region has yet fully developed a roadmap for the e-bus transition, new ideas, solutions and technologies can continue to be incorporated into their development plans. eBussed will support the transition of European regions towards low-carbon mobility and more efficient public transport. It will promote the uptake of e-buses and support the expansion of existing e-fleets.
Based on the project implementation schedule, the ICOP Plus is considered a realistic policy intervention target. Transport development under the ICSP Plus remains an important instrument for economic development and territorial cohesion, but with a strong emphasis on the promotion of sustainable forms of transport in line with the European Green Deal.
Priority axis 1 of the ICOP Plus (Strengthening clean urban-suburban transport) is linked to the objectives of the project. The activities carried out so far under the project objectives and the framework defined have guided the actions of the Action Plan. The related activities included the definition of indicators of readiness for e-bus deployment, an inventory of incentives and barriers, a primary analysis of technological expectations, regional good practices and user attitudes. On this basis, 4 proposed actions have been developed. Two measures will be further developed in spring 2022, based on policy discussions with the Managing Authority for the Integrated Transport Operational Programme (Managing Authority for Transport Programmes, Deputy State Secretariat for Transport Operational Programmes) of the Ministry of Innovation and Technology:
- Reducing the environmental impact of urban and suburban bus transport (Action 1),
- Developing the electric charging network (Action 2).
The tasks undertaken in Action 1:
- Delimitation of the pilot action area,
- Review the adaptability of good practices,
- Testing digital solutions – ensuring all components necessary to provide an optimal user experience.
Tasks undertaken in Action 2:
- Set up an expert group to assess charging solutions for e-buses (1 expert group with at least 3 industry stakeholders),
- Develop model solutions for charging networks for public electric bus transport,
- Organisation of professional, thematic online and face-to-face online and face-to-face events.
The Regional Innovation Agency of South Transdanubia (DDRIÜ) is cooperating with the Central Danube Development Agency (CDDA) on the eBussed project. The main objective of the cooperation between CDDA and DDRIÜ is to implement the tasks undertaken in the Action Plan to the best of the two agencies’ knowledge.
The first meetings have already taken place, where each agency has given the other an insight into the concept for implementation. These include:
- getting to know other target groups beyond the Action Plan, so that the implementation will be less focused on local public transport companies,
- Participation in the online event organised by CDDA,
- CDDA will set up an expert group with 2 main activities:
- regional needs assessment where the eBussed project will be mentioned,
- online content development, where the focus will be on the content of Action 1.
The eBussed project is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund and Hungary within the Interreg Europe Program